Java is an object oriented and general purpose computer programming language. The language is known to derive much of its syntax from C++ and C.
To become a Java programmer, the candidate needs a program to convert Java source codes to byte codes. Earlier only few options were available for the conversion such as Sun’s Java DevelopmentKit. However, now many other popular options are available such as IBM’s Open Source Contribution and GNI project’s GCJ, which can create native executable and class files.
The next important thing that you need to become a Java programmer and land into a lucrative Java job is a Java Virtual machine. This machine can read, understand and translate Java byte codes into machine language in the target processor.
You can also visit Oracle’s Java SE page to download the suitable package for any of your platforms such as Solaris, Linux, and Windows. Those using Macintosh can find J2SE already installed. However, to ensure maximum portability, it is recommended to go for an older edition as it is not necessary that all your potential users must have installed the latest version of JVM. You can alternatively use the third party compiler like GCJ or an open ended source to run it with Java JRE.
Undoubtedly, for planning a career in any industry, the knowledge of its basics is mandatory to be successful in the respective field. One cannot become a good programmer unless he has a strong understanding of the concepts. As a result, for seeking a career as a Java programmer, it is important to learn the basics and knowledge of editors such as Emacs, Vi and Notepad. Knowledge of the Java basics will help you to understand the key concepts of implementing and designing the effective solutions in the best possible way.
Learning the basic concept of edit-compile and test cycle is also important in the process of becoming a good Java programmer. It is a three step simple process:
1) Develop and edit the required program source file
2) Compile to the .class files
3) Use Java executable to finally run the program. You can also start again from the first step if you want to add some more features into it.
To speed up the above mentioned edit-compile-test cycle, you can also download or install an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) like Eclipse and Net Beans. Some other useful text-based tools, which allow full control over the cycle, include Apache Ant and GNU Make.
Moreover, in your learning process, you can make the best use of extraordinary resources like Google and Yahoo! search engines.
Once you get a good hold of the programming basics, it is effective to join any open source project to get an idea of working with people or start your own programming project.
Other points to remember
- Get some useful, reasonable priced and reliable editions of books on Java programming to learn its basics. One can also find several online API docs, troubleshooting tips and articles to learn the basics.
- While learning Java programming, use organized codes and comments to ensure easy reading and remembering.
- Visit API documentations for getting any specific information on Java programming related variables, methods and classes. You can also easily download it and keep it for future reference.
- Develop the skill to factor your codes into precise modules.
So, follow the right procedure to become a skilled Java programmer and earn lucrative salary.