Limited Download and Unlimited Browsing is one of the effective
Bandwidth management techniques to share bandwidth equitably. Because, if download bandwidth is not restricted, it will interfere with the speed of other users internet in one network. As a result, if there are some users who do download let alone use IDM, then other users who just browse not get the bandwidth.
Well, to overcome this, then Limited Techniques Download and Unlimited Browsing is we apply. In Mikrotik, this technique can be done in many ways. One simple and effective way is to use the
Layer 7 Protocol filter. Who does not know what is Layer 7 Protocol, please read here.
Okay, we start Mikrotik Bandwidth Tutorial: Limited Download, Unlimited Browsing using Layer 7 Protocol.
1. Create a list of file extensions that are in the download filter in the Layer 7 protocol. Please copy and paste the following script into Mikrotik Terminal then hit enter. If the file extension is deemed to be less then please add yourself.
/ Ip firewall layer7-protocol
Add comment = "" name = donlotan regexp = "^. * Get. + \\. (Exe | rar | zip | 7z | cab | asf | mov | wmv \
| Mpg | mpeg | mkv | avi | flv | pdf | wav | rm | mp3 | mp4 | ram | rmvb | dat | daa | iso | nrg | bin | vcd | \
Mp2 | 3gp | mpe | qt | raw | wma | ogg | doc | deb | tar | bzip | gzip | gzip2 | 0 [0-9] [0-9]). * \ $ "
2. Create a Mangle Firewall to mark packets that will limit. Please copy paste the following script to Terminal and press enter. We just use 1 Mangle only, simple right?
/ Ip firewall mangle
Add action = mark-packet chain = forward comment = Donlotan disabled = no \
Layer7-protocol = donlotan new-packet-mark = package-donlot passthrough = no protocol = tcp
3. Please check whether the script was successfully executed into settings or not.
Check Setting 7 Layer protocol:
IP -> Firewall -> Layer7 Protocol
IP -> Firewall -> Mangle
Log in to Queue -> Queue Types -> add
– Name the limit dl
– Kind: pcq
– Rate: 64k (please adjust to what the max speed of his download)
If charged 64k, that is to limit the download speed of 64 kbps divided by 8 -> 8 KB / s
If want higher can be filled 256k so throughput: 256/8 = 32 KB / s
NB: remember 1 byte = 8 bits
Please fill as you wish.
– Other settings leave it alone, see the following picture:
go to Queue -> Queue Tree -> add
– Name it: Limit Download
– Parent: global (My OS Router is version 6, there’s only one global parent)
– Packet Marks: package-donlot
– Queue Type: limit dl
– Max Limit: 64k (Adjust to your needs)
You can also use the Limit At feature, please read here for more details:
5. The settings are completed. So the above settings limit the download bandwidth of 64kbps = 8KB / s.
6. Check if the settings are correct by doing a download test file:
Before using Limit Download:
After using Limit Download:
Okay, so is Mikrotik Bandwidth Tutorial: Limited Download, Unlimited Browsing Using
Layer 7 Protocol. Please practice in accordance with the conditions of your network.