In the previous article, I once discussed
Tutorial How to Learn Mikrotik without RouterBoard with VMWare. This time almost the same is still discussing How to Learn Mikrotik Without RouterBoard but not using VMWare but VirtualBox. Oya, before I explain first what is VMWare and VirtualBox. So this software can run both operating systems are virtual in the operating system on your PC / laptop us. For example, we want to run Linux Ubuntu on Windows 7 PC us. Did you understand?
Now let me explain why this time I use VirtualBox instead of
VMWare. The reason is that of the advantages of
VirtualBox than VMWare:
1. VirtualBox is FREE Software, While VMWare Workstation Does Not
2. VirtualBox is more simple and easy to use
3. VirtualBox is lighter than VMWare
4. Etc., Etc .. Etc…
Okay, now let me explain what we will do next. Here we use VirtualBox to run RouterOS Mikrotik and Windows XP virtually. The goal is that we can still learn and Configure Mikrotik without having to have its RouterBoard. This I do because I again have a state task and do not take Mikrotik RouterBoard. So if you want to experiment hard. That’s why I try to use this Virtual Machine.
Things we need are:
1. PC / Laptop connected to the Internet. Want to connect using Modem, Wifi, or other up to you.
2. Latest VirtualBox software, please
3. Mikrotik RouterOS Installer File, Please
4. File Installer (ISO) Windows XP, Please yourself yes.
5. Winbox Mikrotik is
Here I use Windows XP to make configuration easier. If you want to use other windows just, please. Or want to use Linux also a problem. But here I demonstrate how to use Windows XP SP3.
Immediately, the steps are as follows.
1. Please Download and Install VirtualBox
2. Create a new VM for Windows XP, adjust the resources (RAM, Harddisk) with your PC spec
3. Boot the VM with Windows XP installer (ISO)
4. Run VM Win XP it -> Perform the Win XP installation process to complete
5. Create a new VM for Mikrotik -> Do the same as in Win XP
6. Boot the VM with the installer RouterOS Mikrotik (ISO)
7. Run the Mikrotik VM -> Perform Mikrotik RouterOS installation process to complete.
Network Configuration Steps:
In accordance with the above topology, we use 2 Ether on Mikrotik.
Ether1 for connection to Client (Host-only) -> IP address
Ether2 for connection to Internet (NAT) -> Automatic IP address from DHCP Client