Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology that we can use to access private network (local) through the public network (internet). This VPN is very useful to access a private office network from anywhere as long as we have an internet connection. For more details please see the following PPTP illustration (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) VPN:
I have an analogy that there is a branch office that needs to connect to the headquarters but the branch office has no direct connection to the central office intranet. There is the only internet connection, while employees in branch offices that need intranet access is quite a lot, and his VPN account there is only one.
To mitigate this, we can take advantage of the Mikrotik Router to connect to the VPN server and provide an intranet connection to all client in the branch office with only one VPN account only.
How to? Let’s talk together.
Tutorial How to Connect Mikrotik to Office VPN via PPTP VPN Client
1. Make sure your Mikrotik Router is connected to the Internet. If not please read the previous article: Tutorial on how to connect Mikrotik to the Internet
Here I use a connection from MiFi Smartfren Andromax.
2. Open Winbox Mikrotik -> Click PPP menu, on the interface tab add PPTP Client.
3. Name the PPTP VPN.
4. Go to Dial Out tab -> Connect to fill in the IP Address of its VPN Server -> Enter also the user and password of his VPN account -> Click Apply -> OK
5. Check the status of PPTP VPN connection by looking at the bottom of the interface make sure its status is connected and the sign in front of its VPN icon “R”.
6. Now we try to ping the IP address on the Intranet. The result is still RTO.
7. In order to connect to the office intranet, we add a static routing table with Dst. Address Private Network (intranet office) and its gateway PPTP VPN interface.
Private Network 10.0.0.0/8
Private Network 172.16.0.0/12
Can also be added to Private Network 192.168.0.0/16
8. Try test ping again, and the result is no longer RTO and can connect to the intranet.
9. Try to test the connection to the central office intranet on the client. Can by ping or open a web-based application.
Well, now the client can connect to the intranet headquarters through Mikrotik. If your client uses a laptop, please use Mikrotik Hotspot for more secure access.